Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Gravitation


His hair was a perpetual mess like Wolverine’s. He sometimes hid it under a baseball cap. When it was long enough he held it in a pony tail, which was almost always still in a state of disarray. I met him first in my second year in college, when we both applied for membership in an organization. We were introduced to each other and were told we were going to be co-apps. I smiled. He smiled back. That was it.

I was not immediately drawn to him. The attraction came a few days after that initial encounter, when I realized he had a wacky sense of humor, a wicked taste in music, and a wonderful singing voice to go with his skills in playing the guitar. The more I got to know him, the stronger the gravitational pull grew. It was almost as if he was the Sun and I was a mere ball of gas helplessly magnetized towards his direction, ready to dive into his raging ocean of fire and burn.

We listened to the same kind of music so it’s easy to be reminded of him and the days I spent orbiting him, maintaining a safe proximity, ensuring I was far enough not to get reduced to ashes, yet near enough not to be just another nameless planet. I had been attracted to a few others before him but the pulls were never as intense as his. The ones before him were nothing but potential planetary collisions.

Albert Einstein once said, “Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love. How on earth can you explain in terms of chemistry and physics so important a biological phenomenon as first love? Put your hand on a stove for a minute and it seems like an hour. Sit with that special girl for an hour and it seems like a minute. That's relativity.”

Was it love? It probably was. Is. I am still in my orbit, after all, and he is still burning bright. His hair is no longer a mess these days though.

***

I like recycling posts, so what? Besides, I got a good grade for this assignment, so why waste it? Haha.

No comments:

Post a Comment